- Accommodations are a legal obligation – they are not voluntary.
- Accommodations for people with communication disabilities are no less valid or important to achieving equality than those that are more well known – such as ramps for people who have mobility disabilities and sign language for people who are Deaf.
Role of Accommodations:
- Assist a person to demonstrate that they meet the test of capacity
- Assist a person in the decision-making process
- Support person – assist with communication and/or decision-making
- Additional time for communication
- Communication aids e.g. picture boards; speech output devices