Working with a Communication AssistantRegister Details Team < Back
What is this course about?
The free course is for individuals who have communication disabilities and who want someone to assist them communicating with people in their communities. It is about how to hire, train and work with a communication assistant.
There are no quizzes or assignments.
Who can take this course?
This course is for anyone who:
- has a communication disability (not caused primarily by hearing loss)
- wants a person to assist them communicating in certain situations
- is over 16 years of age
- communicates using unclear speech, and/or a picture, symbol, letter board or device
- is a family member, clinician or staff person supporting individual(s) with communication disabilities to take the course
What will you learn in the course?
You will learn about:
- Communication Access Rights
- Communication Assistants
- Finding and Hiring a Communication Assistant
- Training a Communication Assistant
- Communication Assistance in Healthcare and Justice situations
How do you take the course?
- You need a computer, tablet or a smart phone with a large screen and a good internet connection.
- You need an email address to take the course. Your email address will not be shared with anyone or any group.
- It will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete the course.
- You do not have to take the course at one time. You can take breaks and come back to it.
- The course is available anytime.
What if you don’t have a computer, tablet or smart phone with internet access?
You might be able to use a computer at your library, AAC clinic or Speech-Language Pathology service, or a local disability organization.
Can someone help you take the course:
Yes. Please ask someone to assist you, if you think you might need help. They must also register to take the course (see below).